Monday, December 17, 2012

Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge: Gift-spiration

Good morning! I am back with a dt project for our challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Show: Gift-spiration. Every year I buy our Christmas tree a gift of a new ornament...it is a tradition in our house :) So with this challenge I knew I would make one instead, I think it will go nicely with the homemade ornaments that my daughter made oh so many years ago when she was young....now just to get my hubby to make one LOL!!!
 



Below I have a few photos to show you the process...it is a little time consuming, BUT totally fun and it is something we will have for years :) I think they would also make great hostess gifts :) 
 
T
To start with I embossed the foil sheet and applied a thin layer of Gesso. A thin layer makes it easier to reveal the silver when you go to sand it later! Then I applied various inks and sprays. This is the panel before I sanded it.
 

Before I started to sand it, I adhered the Ranger foil sheet to water colour paper to give it some needed thickness for this project. I needed to make 3 panels for this project...the foil sheets are (4 1/4 X 5 1/2).
 
 
I next punched out 20 (1.5 inch) circles with my Fiskars punch, drew a triangle on them, and scored them. I did this on the back because I could not see it well on the front, because of this I did need to re-scor the image on the coloured side so I could turn the folds up.
 

Here is a partial assembly glued together in sections...the top 5, the middle 10, and the bottom 5. I used my Tombo mono multi liquid glue applicator.
 
 
Here the bottom and middle sections are attached, I will thread the silk ribbon through both ends before attaching the final top section.
 

A little close-up to show the finished edges painted with my Krylon silver leaf pen...oh man I use this all the time LOL!!
 
 
I so hope you all can join us this week!!! I would love to see your ideas for our Simon Says Stamp and Show Gift-spiration challenge...it would be great to get some more ideas and hopefully make a few more home made gifts! 
One lucky random participant will win a $50 dollar voucher to shop at the AWESOME Simon Says Stamp Superstore :) 
We also announce the top three picks, and they get a special brag blinkie for their blog! Hope you all have a fantastic day! Hugs, TRace

 

19 comments:

May said...

fantastic project AND tutorial!! Love this so much. :)

Pajalu said...

What a gorgeous ornament Tracey. I love the tutorial as well.

Sonia said...

Wow. This project is stunning. Thank you for sharing it. Great!!!!!

Suzanne C said...

Gorgeous ornament! Great tip on the Gesso over the metal foil. Love the texture on this!

Anonymous said...

Bond says....OMG what a great keepsake this will be. I love the colors and antique look the silver gives it. Amazing job yet again. Thanks so much for the tutorial too I hope to have some time to make one over the holidays. A very merry Christmas to you.

Candy C said...

Trace...your metallic Christmas ball is beautiful! I love it and will have to give it a try! Love your design and colors you've used! <3 Candy

Ruby Craft said...

Your ornament is so beautiful and I love all the little details like the beads, tassel and using the silver pen for the edges. Simply Beautiful!

Anna-Karin said...

Wow, this is stunning! I wish it was hanging in my tree! Love all the shades of colours, the texture and the great silver leafing pen details. I made some balls like this a few years ago, very simple ones from patterned papers. My son was left two seconds alone with the tree decoration and managed to demolish three of the balls. So time to make some new ones!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Stunning decoration Trace, something to treasure and bring out year after year. Love the colours, very striking as is the embossing. Fabu,ous step by steps too. Cannot wait to see your husbands version lol. Tracy x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Fabulous!!! WOW...so fun! Fab gift!

Nancy K said...

Oh wow!! Amazing detail! Tracey, you did a fabulous job on this ornament. It would be wonderful to have a whole tree filled with these sparkly baubles!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Super cool ornament, Trace! I love the 'stained glass' color combo and the shape is so unique and cool!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Anonymous said...

This is really amazing!!! Thanks for the how-to :)

Sandra said...

What a fabulous ornament! really great tutorial as well! Gorgeous! Hope your hubby will make one too next year! Hugs, Sandra

Cathy said...

Wow, this is a stunning decoration! The colours and textures are beautiful. I've never used alcohol inks or foil, but am adding them to my wish list! Thank you for the tutorial, Merry Christmas :)

Marjie Kemper said...

How beautiful! Love the texture and rich colors... this looks amazing embossed!

lynda said...

Everything about your ornament is superb!! I clipped it so I can try to make one too!

Kelly Booth said...

This is so Very Pretty Just LOVE it!!!

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

HI Trace, Your ornament is stunning and thank you very much for the instructions ! Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a very Creative 2013 ! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next ! Shirleyx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...